Employment Law: 10 Ways For HR To Have A Happy Xmas
Seasons Greetings! We spotted this fantastic blog by Gemma Reucroft on LinkedIn and thought we’d share it with you.
There are plenty of articles currently available providing invaluable HR and employment law advice just for the season. So, just in case one more is needed, here is my holiday related wisdom for HR folk everywhere.
- Employees sometimes do stupid stuff. At Christmas time and otherwise.
- Just deal with it.
- Resist the urge to worry too much about vicarious liability, discrimination and constructive dismissal. Although it is probably a good idea not to put any mistletoe up in the office.
- Resist the urge to write any sort of policy.
- Resist the urge to put any sort of disclaimer about behaviour in any Christmas party related literature. If someone wants to punch Bob from Accounts on the dance floor after 12 pints of beer then they will do it anyway. See points 1 and 2.
- Resist the urge to write special rules about absence from work after social events. See point 2.
- Apply Christmas common sense.
- Avoid sprouts in an office environment at all times. This is especially important in small or poorly ventilated offices.
- Never, ever, buy Secret Santa presents from Ann Summers*.
- Enjoy yourself. Put a tree up. Eat some Quality Street. Wear a Christmas jumper. And if you feel yourself turning into the HR equivalent of Ebenezer Scrooge, then just watch this…..
If you would like some employment law advice please contact Else Solicitors on 01283 526200. Alternatively, you can send us a message and we will get in touch at a time that suits you.